Yesterday, I completed my pilgramage to Santiago de Compostela. Running into the city con una sonrisa grandote, I finally walked my last kilometer and stood before the cathedral at the end of the long, long road. I decided to enter Santiago alone, ending my journey just as I started it. I walked down the hill from El Monte de Gozo (the Mountain of Joy) to see Santiago glimmering in the distance, golden with the evening sun and with the ocean breeze on my skin. I nearly cried for joy to see my final destination. I chose to finish the trip with the setting sun. The end of the day, the end of a journey.
But, the start of something new.
Today, after receiving my official Compostela (certificate of completion) from the Catholic Church (thank you, Pope!), I wandered the city. Ever a pilgrim, it felt strange not to spend my time walking, so I explored up and down the streets. I also indulged in a pair of new jeans and a fresh shirt. It is nice to feel a little bit pretty, after a month of being gross, and I fully plan to ditch all of my nonessential pilgrim clothes. Then, on to the Pilgrims Mass and the giant swinging incense ball. I did all of the traditional end-of-Camino things (visited the cathedral, looked at the statues, bought a few kitschy souveneirs). Tonight is fiesta and fireworks! Then, "home again, home again, jiggity jigg."
No comments:
Post a Comment