map of el camino frances

Thursday, July 8, 2010

estrellas, la meseta and apologies

hello to all my friends and family who have been following this blog. Until today, I did not think that many people were actually reading my ramblings....but, I do need to apologize for the lack of postings and contact in the last week. In this part of Spain, internet cafes have been hard to come by, especially since I have been staying in small pueblos and focusing on my daily 8 hours of walking. I am truly sorry for causing worry or concern and want to reassure you that I am healthy, in good spirits (considering the wear and tear of El Camino) and continuing upon my route as expected. For the remainer of my trip I will make a serious effort to check in every few days, so as not to cause worry, but can´t promise that I will be able to find a connect to the web every day.

"Compostela" means countryside of stars. Last night I had the opportunity to walk under the stars, through the Spanish meseta, enjoying the night. The stars were brighter that I have ever seen and the Milky Way was clearly visible. The meseta (desert) is a flat, dry stretch of land that is killer to walk during the daytime, especially due to the intense heat. I have finally learned the reason for the Spanish afternoon siesta--it is nearly impossible to accomplish anything between 11 am and 5 pm due to the soaring temperature. So, to was a gift to gain some kilometers at night, with a group of friends and a head lamp. Passing through towns at 2 am, we caused a chorus of barking dogs along the way, but were able to enjoy the night wind blowing off the meseta.

2 comments:

  1. ahh. sigh of relief dear linds for us worry worts back home. so glad to hear you are well (though a bit worn, but i bet it feels great). paso a paso, adelante a Santiago! con amor.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yea Linds, what a great experience...Night walking. Love it. Dad

    ReplyDelete