A very short one, since my internet might run out at any minute....
I´m on the trail--today was day two. Yesterday was KILLER. Straight up and down the mountains. I unloaded about half of my pack at the first refugio--anything not totally necessary (the definition of which is changing often for me. "Do I really need this second pair of pants?") When you are walking all day, carrying everything on your back like a mule, any extra kilogram matters. The Pyranees are beautiful...lots of vistas of rolling hills, misty mountain peaks, sheep grazing, through the pine forests. At every turn I felt like I was in a painting. So far I have met amazing people--a Mexican dad and son walking together, a German priest-to-be walking from Germany fully clothed in the garb of a Templar Knight, an Argentinian woman. Today I walked with two hilarious Italian friends. It was like a language triangle--they spoke Italian to teach other, one could speak English with me and the other Spanish with me. El Camino is such an amazing multicultural experience....
Now I am in the town of Zubrini (?). There is a medieval stone bridge that crosses a small river.Spend time time skipping rocks and splashing in the water, to cool our tired feet, on arrival. I am thinking about spending the afternoon with a siesta in the shade on the banks. Then, some tapas perhaps and a bottle of vino. (I think that a little wine is good for the muscles :).
Hey Linds,
ReplyDeleteSounds like a wonderful trip, and brings back memories of when your Mom and I lived along the coast, played bball, hung out with Lucien and Andre, went to Guerand.
Enjoy the hike...sounds fabulous.
Dad