I stepped off the plane at Charles DeGaulle airport this morning shaking in my hiking boots. The reality of being in a foreign country where you dont speak the language has finally sunk in, I think. I've gotten many disgruntled looks from Parisians who are not happy with my methods of pointing at things and speaking "fr-anglish."
But, all in all, a successful day.
So far Ive managed to maneuver the Paris subway system with relative ease (thank you, Chicago, for the practice) and spent some time on the Left Bank. Lots of tiny winding streets, fountains, braissaires (sandwich shops) and street vendors. I strolled along the Seine and sipped some cafe con leche at a cafe, desperately trying to keep the exhaustion away (it's been 36 hours without sleep so far). Paris really is the most romantic city in the world. Or maybe we have just shaped our idea of romance around this iconic city? Either way, it was lonely to look across the river at the cathedral of Notre Dame and watch couples strolling hand in hand.
Now I am in Montremarte, the famous home of the Moulin Rouge. Right now there is a jazzy band (tuba, sax, bango) playing in the plaza and it is nice to walk past shops selling cheerful flowers, fresh fruit or dried sausages. I will sleep tonight in the abbey of the Catedral de Sacre-Coure de Montremarte. I am expected to stay up for an hour to pray with the sisters (they only let pilgrams stay in their monastary and you have to "prove it"). Considering my jet lag, this sounds like an impossibility. I think that I will pray that I can stay awake. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment